Thursday, August 20, 2026

Knowing Where We Are Going #RTTBROS #Nightlight

Knowing Where We Are Going
There is a profound peace that comes from having a settled heart. This peace was beautifully illustrated by the legendary evangelist, Billy Graham. Many years ago, in the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, Dr. Graham was invited to be honored by his hometown. At the time, he was struggling with the effects of Parkinson's disease and was hesitant to speak, fearing he could not deliver a great address. But the organizers simply asked him to come and be honored.
When Dr. Graham stepped to the rostrum, he shared a lighthearted story about Albert Einstein. He recounted how Einstein was once traveling on a train, and as the conductor came to punch his ticket, the brilliant professor realized he had lost it. He searched his pockets, his briefcase, and the floor, but the ticket was nowhere to be found.
The conductor, recognizing the famous scientist, smiled and said, “Dr. Einstein, I know who you are. We all know who you are. I'm sure you bought a ticket. Don't worry about it.”
The conductor moved on, but then he looked back and saw the great physicist down on his hands and knees, frantically searching under his seat. The conductor rushed back and insisted, “Dr. Einstein, please don't worry! I know who you are. You don't need a ticket.”
Einstein looked up with a twinkle in his eye and replied, “Young man, I too know who I am. What I don't know is where I'm going!”
Dr. Graham then brought the story home with a truth that echoes in the hearts of all who trust in the Lord. He pointed to the brand new suit he was wearing and told the crowd that his family had noticed he had become a bit slovenly in his old age. He had bought this new suit for the luncheon, but he admitted there was one more occasion he had in mind.
He paused, and then said, “This is the suit in which I'll be buried. But when you hear I'm dead, I don't want you to immediately remember the suit I'm wearing. I want you to remember this: I not only know who I am, I also know where I'm going.”
What a powerful declaration of faith. In a world that often leaves us feeling lost, uncertain, or questioning our purpose, these words serve as a beacon of hope. Dr. Graham knew his identity in Christ, and because of that, he had an unwavering certainty about his eternal destination.
This is the promise available to each of us. When we place our faith in Jesus, we are given a new identity as children of God. We no longer have to wander through the darkness of uncertainty or fear the unknown. We can rest in the assurance that our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.
As you close your eyes tonight, let this truth settle over you. You are loved. You are redeemed. And if you are in Christ, you are headed toward a home where there is no more pain, no more sickness, and no more parting.
May you sleep in the confidence and peace of knowing not only who you are, but exactly where you are going.
Scripture for Reflection "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." (John 14:1-2, KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment