Tuesday, July 21, 2026

The Strength That Isn't Ours #Nightlight #RTTBROS

The Strength That Isn't Ours #Nightlight #RTTBROS
Acts 9:20-22 (KJV)
And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests? But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ.
 When I look at this passage from Acts, I see a story that always makes me stop and think. It’s the story of Saul. Now, Saul wasn't exactly a "good guy" in the eyes of the early church. He was a man of great zeal, but it was a zeal directed against the very thing God was trying to do. He was a persecutor. He was a man who thought he knew the way, and he was ready to bring the believers bound to the chief priests.

But then, the road to Damascus. That’s where the story pivots.

We see in Acts 9:20-22 that after Saul met Christ, he didn't just get a little bit better; he was changed. He became "more in strength," and he went from being a persecutor to being a powerful preacher.

Now, I know what some of you might be thinking. "Gene, I’m not Saul. I’m not a persecutor. I’m just trying to get through Tuesday." And that’s alright. But the principle here isn't about being a saint overnight. It’s about the source of the strength.

We often try to build our own strength. We try to "hustle" our way to a better life, or we try to "will" ourselves into being more patient, or more loving, or more effective. We rely on our own grit. But the Bible tells us that the strength that truly lasts, the strength that changes a life from the inside out, comes from God.

Look at John Newton. He went from a slave trader to a preacher. He didn't just try to be different; he was made different. He said, "By the grace of God I am what I am."

That’s the secret, isn't it? We are not saved for our own benefit, though we certainly benefit. We are saved to be part of God's work. And the same God who saves us, He equips and empowers us.

So, what does "extra strength" look like in our daily lives? It looks like admitting you can’t do it alone. It looks like saying, "Lord, I need Your power right now." It looks like trusting that the same power that transformed Saul on the road to Damascus is available to you today, whether you’re facing a difficult conversation, a tough day at work, or just the temptation to give up on prayer.

Don't try to be strong in your own might. Lean into His.

Today's Growth Principle: God powerfully transforms the lives of everyone who trusts Him for salvation.


May the Lord grant you the strength that is not yours, but His. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment